Headshots show your professional side and give people a perspective of who you are in the business world. People often mess up their headshots pretty easily because of simple mistakes: having a good headshot plays an important role in showing your professional abilities. It not only gives a company a face to put to your name, but it also allows them to see that you look professional.
But how do you get the perfect headshot? Here is a list of do’s and don’ts when you are getting a headshot done!
Let’s start by focusing on the positives–what you are doing right with your headshots! Here is a list of things to make a great impression in your photo:
- Dress as you would for an interview or audition.
- Wear solid colors that are a soft tone.
- Take multiple photos so you have different options.
- Practice the pose and face that looks the most natural to you.
- Have a clean and natural-looking smile.
- Ask for the photographer’s advice; they are professionals and they are here to help!
- Your hair should be styled in a clean looking way that is not distracting.
- Make sure you have good posture!
The less fun part…the mistakes that are so easy to make when getting a photo taken. Here are some things to avoid:
- Don’t wear clothes that make you uncomfortable.
- Don’t wear accessories that are flashy; the simpler, the better.
- Clean and simple makeup (no bright colors).
- Don’t wear clothing with words printed on it.
- No patterns or multiple colors; try to stick with solid colors.
- Don’t wear a shirt that is cut too low.
- Don’t wear black or white; it’s boring!
The Importance of a Headshot
There are many reasons as to why you should always have an updated headshot–that’s right! Updated!
You need to update your headshot in order for it to come off professional. If your headshot looks 5 years younger than you, then the company interviewing you might be a little confused. Here are just a few reasons as to why you need a professional headshot:
- People will take you more seriously when you look professional.
- Headshots make you stand out from others.
- People remember faces better than they remember names, so people will remember you.
These are just a few reasons why you should get a headshot and what they can do for your professional portfolio.
The Final Shot
Make sure to do research on where to get a professional headshot done to see if you like the company. Look at their previous headshots that they have in their gallery to see if that style matches what you are looking for in a headshot.
You can make your headshot different and unique to you by talking to a professional today. Here in the Boise area, you are surrounded by plenty of different job opportunities, so you never know when you might need a professional headshot!